Monday, October 10, 2016

Savoring a series or the "last Christmas present" scenario

This weekend I finally snuggled up to a book that had been on my TBR for a little bit. I was incredibly excited to read it, but I had let it languish on my TBR for a few extra months. Why? It's my "last Christmas present" coping mechanism.

I don't generally like detective novels, or open ended series', but I make an exception for Phillip Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels. Hard scrabble, bitter, but a little sentimental and soft Bernie Gunther is the policeman/hotel detective/Soviet POW/forced Nazi collaborator/man who has seen some sh*t that we all deserve. There are 11 books so far and now I have read them all.

25893956 

Some of the covers are so baller and awesome but this one is bad. The lady face picture is way too big and I hate it when the name of the author is bigger than the title name. Hate. 

So even though I was excited about this novel I didn't read it right away. Hence, the last Christmas present.

Every Christmas when my sister and I were little we would ask our parents to tell us when we were opening our last Christmas present. That way we could take the time to really savor it. (Not that we were the type of kids who got mountains of presents and ripped through them all in 10 seconds, because we were not). So when I really like I character like Bernie, who I've spent a lot of time with, I try to savor each book and make it last because I never know when or if I will get to see him again.

However, when I got to the end of the book and read through the footnotes I saw this glorious phrase: "Bernie Gunther will be back in Prussian Blue coming out in 2017."

Turns out there's another present under the tree for this girl.

Does anyone else do this or am I weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!