Friday, July 24, 2015

All Lady July Guest Post: Jamie from Books & Beverages talks about what person and what books shaped her as a reader!

Displaying IMG_1284.PNG




Today on the blog I'm pleased as punch to have the amazing Jamie from Books and Beverages guest posting. All of her info is at the bottom of the post, and I highly reccomend you make regular visits to her site. If for no other reason to talk Tolkien and Lewis (Tollers and Jack to those in the know) during the Inklings readings! I love that Jamie chose this topic to write on! Thanks for being here today Jamie friend, and happy belated birthday! :)


Hello everyone! I’m so excited to be a part of All Lady July this year! Thank you so much Wesley for letting me join in the fun! One of the ideas Wesley came up with was who encouraged me to read. This question fits perfectly because I get to talk about one of my favorite people on the planet and she’s also quite the lady - my Mama!


My Mom has always encouraged my siblings and I. She continues to do so, even though I’m well into my adult years. From building sets (and lots of Legos) to pets, sports and everything in between, my Mom has always encouraged me to explore and find what I love. One of those early on was most definitely books.


I loved the times during summer (when we weren’t running around our neighborhood) when we’d go to the library. To this day my heart holds a special place for my hometown library (and I really hope they have the same 70s carpet and shelves). And those summer reading challenges? My mom was the one to introduce me to them and encourage me to join (I did not mess around people. There were some serious prizes waiting for me - like free books!).


She would often buy me books and my love for literature and reading has never died down. I’m so thankful for those memories and developing an early love for books. Now I’ve been able to return the favor by giving her plenty of recommendations and lots of books - it’s so fun!


I still have many of these books from childhood (I can let go internet, I can’t). I’ve re-read a couple in recent years and y’all - they are just as fun now as they were back then.


I not only remember these books, but each impacted me in different ways - even if I didn’t realize that at the wise age of 10. Whether for their bravery, courage, inspiration or all of the above, here’s a few of my old favorites:


Roll of Thunder Hear MyCry by Mildred D. Taylor - This book wasn’t a light read, but an important one and helped myself, along with plenty of other people, understand racism from a young girl’s perspective in the South.

Island of the BlueDolphins by Scott O'Dell - This book was based on the true story of Juana Maria, who lived on the island by herself for 18 years. I remember thinking - girls DO have what it takes.

Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary - This book? It showed me reading is fun.

The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett - This is one I need to re-read soon, but I don’t think there’s many people who didn’t like this book.

Wesley Note: Jamie and I want to do a read along of this book. Maybe in the fall? Anyone interested in reading along?

A Murder For Her Majesty by Beth Hilgartner.  This was probably the first clue that I would become rather obsessed with Criminal Minds, Monk and Psych. Mystery and witnessing murder? Nothing an 11-year girl can’t figure out right?

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. After I read this (I remember watching the movie back in the day too!) I desperately wanted a secret garden. I re-read this recently and I loved it all over again.

Anne of Green Gablesby Lucy Maud Montgomery. I have to confess, I grew up only with the movies. Yet, this was a story that still impacts me and was a favorite to watch with my sister and cousins. I haven’t been able to watch it since the death of Gilbert Blythe though. Sigh…

Black Star, Bright Dawn by by Scott O'Dell. Another classic from Mr. O’Dell. It involves a husky, so of course it would be a win for me! Bright Dawn’s story was yet another reminder that women can accomplish some pretty amazing feats.

Displaying all-lady-july-books-and-beverages.jpg
Another reason I love Jamie's blog, she takes a wonderful picture.

Do you have favorite books from your childhood?


Thanks for reading and I’d love to connect with you! I write over at Books and Beverages (booksandbeverages.org) and can also be found on Twitter Facebook  and Instagram 



10 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Thanks so much for hosting me and thanks for the lovely intro :) :) I'll definitely be sharing as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember our trip to Santa Barbara Mission when you were into your "Caifornia Mission" stage. We visited Karana's (Juana's) grave at the mission. I loved reading that book with you and Lisa. Thank-you for remembering all those special times we shared during summer vacations.Special memories always! I love you dearly! - Mama

      Delete
  2. I loved Scott O'Dell too, especially Island of the Blue Dolphins and Thunder Rolling in the Mountains. I don't know how many times I read Indian Captive by Lois Lensky, or Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. But I also grew up on some good Swedish fare - Pippi Longstocking and Ronia the Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren, the Kirsten American Girl books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo - I don't think I've read Thunder Rolling in the Mountains, but I'm definitely going to check it out.

      I read a ton of the American Girl books too - I'm pretty sure my Felicity doll is still at my parent's house. I'll have to track it down :)

      Delete
  3. So many wonderful Scott O'Dell books! My favorite is still Island of the Blue Dolphins. I've read all the books you mentioned except A Murder for Her Majesty -- never heard of that one before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still fascinated with the story of Island of the Blue Dolphins - he wrote so many good ones!

      Delete
  4. Yay, always glad to see Jamie around the blogosphere. Not sure if I've ever read A Little Princess or not... but I love the movie version. (Naturally, that's what I most know when it comes to classic lit.)

    Thanks so much for the visit to Dreaming Under the Same Moon, Wesley. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll definitely have to join in with the read along!! :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!