Friday, March 14, 2014

This is Not a Post About Books - March. "Let's all go to the drive in"

(PS I've been to a drive in several times and I love it)

So when you meet someone new, and youre trying to figure out what kind of a person they are, the same topics always come up:

What do you do?

What kind of books do you like?
Are you a (insert team name) here?
Are you from here originally?
What kind of movies do you like?

I know when I meet someone new I ask just about all of these. If all they read is Judy Piccoult (or the dreaded "I don't really read") I start thinking, well you're not going to be my new best friend. 


But since this is a "not book" post we're going to talk about movies. I sometimes judge people by their taste in books and movies, and if other people judge me by those same things I'm sure they will think I'm a psycho killer nut job.

Wesley's favorite movies (judge as needed):


Inglorious Basterds

I remember when this movie came out and my husband wanted to see it, and I was scared to because I heard it was incredibly bloody. We finally went and saw it. This is one of many "I told you so" moments in our marriage. 

I love this movie. I love to quote this movie, generally in situations that are not at all applicable.I even dressed up as the Bear Jew for Halloween a few years ago. I thought it was awesome, but my friends were confused since no one else had seen the movie. Because they suck. Sorry friends.(Just kidding friends, love you.)


This is also where my obsession with Christoph Waltz began. The man is a great villain.Also, the soundtrack is amazing.


Best quote
:" Actually, Werner, we're all tickled to hear you say that. Frankly, watchin' Donny beat Nazis to death is is the closest we ever get to goin' to the movies." Though the one I quote the most often "Yeah we got a word for that kind of odd in English. It's called SUSPICIOUS".


Constantine

I know this is based on graphic novels, but I don't know anything about any of that. Honestly I'm not sure why I like this movie, since demons and the like freak me out. But it's an awesome movie. Darkly funny but still a little scary. 

Rachel Weisz is one of my favorites, and she plays double duty on this one. I just pretend that Shia Lebouf doesn't exist (in this movie and in real life in general).

Best quote: "Fire? I was born of this!" (I like to pull this one out around Fourth of July and camping trips)



Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

I love a good action/popcorn/megablockbuster sometimes.And this movie is basically my all time favorite. Everything is so wonderfully clear cut. 

Nazis=evil, Indy=awesome,having sex with a beautiful Austrian fraulein and then finding out that your dad got there before you = hilarity and gross. 

If I see that this is on TV I will stop whatever I'm doing, sit down in front of the TV, and not move until it's done. Light it up Indy, Light it up! (clap, clap)

Best quote: "My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land". (Usually quoted by me while heading into Illinois).





Sorry, not sorry. Your tolls are ridiculous.




The Village

I hear all of you rolling your eyes about an M Night choice. My sister Q and I went and saw this movie and were terrified. Like, borderline hysterically scared.

Risking a pants-pooping, we went back to see it the next day with our Mom, who was curious what had scared us so bad. After the movie ended and she realized that there was actually nothing from the movie to be scared of she had us committed to an insane asylum. Not really, but she thought we were nuts. To this day we refuse to use the red sleeping bag when we go camping.

Also there's a great cast: Joaquin, William Hurt, Brendan Gleeson, Adrian Brody...

Best quote: "Do your very best not to scream."

(Q and I did our very best.Screamed anyway)

So there's the little break in our book talk. So everyone tell me what your favorite movies are!

2 comments:

  1. Inglorious Basterds is one of my all-time favorites! I thought it was really clever, and I'm not much of a Tarantino fan. My daughter and I watched The Village recently; it was the second time for me, and I think I liked it better this time than I did at first. Parts of it are pretty creepy, and it does get you thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo another IB fan! I haven't seen much other Tarantino, I think the only other one I saw Django. I think Village is better on second showings too. You're over the shock of it and you can get more into the psychology of it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!