Monday, January 6, 2014

Toes in the Sand, Book in my Hand: Vacation Reads Book List

I know none of you will believe this, but when I travel I take a big old stack of books with me. I'm not the greatest flier so being absorbed in a good book is good for my sanity during my time in those flying metal tubes. When it comes to picking my vacation reads, I like to pick books about travel, and books that I know I should have read but have never gotten around to it.



This is generally the face I make on an airplane.Usually the airplane doesn't make the face.



Here are some good ones:

"Heads in Beds: A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality" by Jacob Tomsky

Tomsky has worked several jobs in the hospitality industry. He's been a valet, a front desk worker, a front desk manager, and a housekeeping supervisor just to name a few. He's worked in brand spanking new beautiful hotel in New Orleans and a slightly worn Belle of the Ball hotel in New York City.

He had some really interesting tidbits that he shared like
-if you book through a booking engine (Orbitz, Expedia) you're pretty much getting the smallest room in a undesirable location (by the elevator, ice machine whatever) so take that into account.
-if you want a better room don't be afraid to slide your front desk clerk some money on the sly.They aren't going to upgrade you if you tell them it's your birthday.Everyone has a birthday, not everyone slips you some cash.
-always be nice to people. This makes you a better human being and it keeps the staff from talking smack about you on their breaks.

"Cruising Attitude: Tales of Crashpads, Crew Drama, and Crazy Passengers at 35,000 Feet" by

Heather Poole.
It's easy to see why people would think that the life of a flight attendant is a glamorous one. Exotic locations, cheap travel, meeting all kinds of people sounds great. I don't think the trade off is worth it! Poole is a still-active flight attendant and she has some wonderful stories. She starts with talking about the training process for flight attendants, it is arduous.I can't believe the amount of things they have to learn and how strict the instructors are. People get kicked out for not being in full hair and makeup everyday.

Once she actually begins her flight career things get even more crazy. It amazes and saddens me how rude and inconsiderate people can be, and I feel like air travel makes it worse! She tells stories of creepy passengers, inter-flight crew dating and airport horror stories. The stories are funny and educational (Diet Coke is the drink that takes longest to serve because of it's fizzy head) and are great for the beach! And always say please and thank you to your flight attendant!

"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll

Be serious, whose actually read this book? I saw this Disney version and read the watered down kids picture book story but not the actual book. I took this book with me on my first all-inclusive trip to Mexico. I knew I was drinking too much when all of the opium smoking caterpillars and mice in teapots were starting to make sense. But now I can say I've read it!

Here are some books next on my vacation reads list:
- "Not So Funny When It Happened: The Best of Travel Humor and Misadventure" - Tim Cahill
-"How the States Got Their Shapes"-Mark Stein
-"The Beach" - Alex Garland

Anyone else have any special ways to pick vacation reads?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!