Wednesday, January 15, 2014

"How do you find all these books to read?!"

I get this question a lot. And it's a good question, so if you are looking to build up your "to be read' shelf, here are some suggestions.

-I've already pined about how much I loved goodreads.com in this post. But I think it's worth repeating. Fill out a couple of you favorite books and see what their recommendations give you. I've found a lot of books this way that I know I would have picked up otherwise.

-This is obvious but ask your friends! If they get passionate about a book that they love, pick it up! It's a good way to get out of your reading comfort zone and then you have someone to discuss it with when you're done.

-When I get really stuck, I go to the library and try to find books about books. Nancy Pearl has written at least 5 books full of recommendations. I've had some hits and misses with some of her recommendations but the books themselves make for fun reading.

There's a book I'm reading right now called "The Novel Cure: From Abandonment to Zestlesness; 761 Books to Cure What Ails You". The book is kind of laid out like a medical dictionary. If you're scared of death they suggest you read "100 Years of Solitude" to get some perspective on life's never ending cycle. Scared that you're a coward? Get some encouragement from Scout in "To Kill a Mockingbird". Also I love the cover, books as medicine sounds just right to me!
---------------------------------------------------------

In 2 unrelated notes:

These just arrived in the mail! Sometimes people ask about the blog and I worry that when time comes to sit at their computer and try to find it they won't remember the name. So I got these cute simple cards with the info on it. Also I love stationary so it was a good excuse to buy some paper goods. Let me know if anyone wants a few to shove off on their friends and family, haha.

Did you guys enjoy the giveaway with "Across Great Divides"? I had a really great experience working with "Closed the Cover" (the company who was helping the author promote the book) so look for another book review and giveaway in Feburary. Apparently the giveaway with that book is really good!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh aren't you awesome!! Thanks for the mention and I'm happy to see you had a good time working with me. :-) I get books from all of the same places you mention plus I use Netgalley and get them straight from the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got signed up with Netgalley last week! Lots of good options if I ever get through my current stack of library books.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!